24-25 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We can talk about Aidoo sucking, being soft, disappearing when it matters, whatever we want. But losing an All-SEC / All-SEC Defensive player to a conference opponent sucks no matter how you slice it.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah love having a 6’10 guy who can and will shoot the three, but we’ve had a couple pure shooters who have been stapled to the bench because they don’t defend well enough for Barnes. I think Barnes has enough of a reputation that he’s likely to scare off people who aren’t going to put in the effort, but…well, the portal is still no sure thing. I love the stats if he can get it done at both ends

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Totally.

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that I’ve watched him or really know anything about him. But if he’s 6’10 and can shoot the ball like that, my guess is that if he could defend down low and on the perimeter, he wouldn’t be transferring in from a mid major. He’d be headed to the NBA.

Maybe they feel Okpara is good enough to clean up any blow bys that happen on the perimeter.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure, all newcomers are going to have to learn to defend the way Barnes requires. But we have 11 quality players, they're going to be battling for minutes.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We getting Lanier or not?

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Absolutely maybe.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We will, unless we don't.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve never watched him play, but I’ve read that he’s also a good defender/rebounder. And his dad is a well thought of pro coach in Europe

Tar Volon likes this.
  9. Tar Volon

He also went to UVA initially, which doesn’t scream “can’t/won’t defend”

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's either Tennessee or the NBA

11. Unimane

I’d wager good money at DK going to the Spurs at #8. With the fourth pick and Wemby in their pocket, they can afford to go after a luxury scorer at that spot. This would be perfect for DK. He’s not the #1 option, avoiding the rigorous defenses for 82 games, and he’s not looked at as the savior. He seems to be perfectly tempered for Pop, too. Would be really ideal.

SetVol13 and Tar Volon like this.
  12. Tar Volon

I don’t really have NBA loyalties right now, but I might dust off my old Spurs fandom if that happens (my first two sports jerseys as a kid were David Robinson and Tee Martin, so yeah).

A-Smith likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. CardinalVol

I'd be thrilled if he went 9, but you make a very good point.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

16. Unimane

Also, this.

17. CardinalVol

Sheppard can get 42? Dang.

18. Unimane

I remember his dad could jump, too, and was a high jumper in high school.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah Jeff was explosive when he needed to be.

20. CardinalVol